Oakville & Milton Humane Society Vision:
Providing the highest levels of services and support to the animals and residents by engaging the diverse communities we serve.
Oakville & Milton Humane Society Mission:
Protect. Care. Educate.
Outstanding care and compassion for animal welfare
Maintains exceptional standards as an educational resource centre
Helps protect through the investigation and prosecution under the OSPCA
Serves the communities and surrounding areas of Oakville and Milton
Speaking for those that cannot speak for themselves – together we make a difference
We invite you to read our Annual Reports:
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2015 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2015 Financial Results
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2014 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2013 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2012 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2011 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2010 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2009 Annual Report
Oakville & Milton Humane Society Funding:
All Humane Societies are run independently. The Oakville & Milton Humane Society is an independent, non-profit charitable organization, funded by donations. We are dependant on the donations from the public and from corporate sponsors to keep our doors open for the animals.
Our Charitable Registration Number is 11906 4350 RR0001.
Our Animal Protective Services department also has a service contract for Animal Control with the Town of Oakville and the Town of Milton to enforce some of the animal related bylaws.
Oakville & Milton Humane Society Philosophy:
The Oakville & Milton Humane Society has space for about 200 animals. These animals come to us because their owners can no longer care for them; because they are lost, abandoned or abused.
The Pounds Act states that we must keep any incoming stray for a minimum of 72 hours not including the day the animal came in, Sundays or holidays. This is to allow the owner to claim his/her pet. The majority of our stray animals go back to their owners, or are placed in new homes.
Throughout the years, the Oakville & Milton Humane Society has retained its primary mission of addressing animal welfare issues as well as providing food, shelter and care for the many stray and unwanted pets in our community. In addition, the society offers an increasingly wide range of support services including:
- 24 Hour Emergency Service
- Lost and Found
- Animals for Adoption
- Cruelty Investigations
- By-law Enforcement
The Oakville & Milton Humane Society is very committed to the community that it serves. We offer pet visits to health facilities, education in schools and we participate in many community events.
One concern that every Humane Society faces is public perception. The Oakville & Milton Humane Society is a low euthanasia animal shelter. Euthanasia is our final option in cases of overwhelming medical conditions, quality of life, dangerous aggressive behavior and public safety.
We have made the commitment to spaying or neutering every dog, cat, puppy, kitten and rabbit that is made available for adoption in an effort to impact pet overpopulation in our community.
Through education, spay/neuter programs and assisting people to choose appropriate pets we hope to reduce the number of unwanted animals coming into the shelter.
In order to continue to offer these services and maintain the best possible care for our animals we need volunteer help. Volunteers are involved in every aspect of the shelter with the exception of Animal Control. We would not be able to provide wonderful care for our animals without you.
Oakville & Milton Humane Society History:
The Shelter began in January 1936, when a group of concerned citizens decided that lost and abandoned animals needed some place to go where they could be safe from the elements. By 1939, they were not only helping lost or abandoned animals, but were also handling cruelty complaints.
Originally, the building was located on Morrison Road. The Shelter moved to its present location in May 1951.