Accessibility 5 Year Plan
Please click here to view the Oakville & Milton Humane Society’s 5 Year Accessibility Plan
Accessible Customer Service Plan Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
Oakville & Milton Humane Society is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our building.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and have no shelter animals in the immediate area.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
- Fees will not be charged for support persons, although fundraising events may be the exception
- We will notify customers of this through a notice posted on our premises and via our Website
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities Oakville & Milton Humane Society will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
The notice will be placed on the website and at the front entrance to the building.
Oakville & Milton Humane Society will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf.
Individuals in the following positions will be trained:
Customer service representatives, managers etc.
This training will be provided to staff within the probationary period
Training & re-fresher training will be offered on a regular basis.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society’s plan related to the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing the Oakville & Milton Humane Society building
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to your accessible customer service plan.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way OMHS provides goods and services to people with disabilities can provide feedback by e-mail, verbally, letter.
All feedback, including suggestions, issues or complaints, will be directed and handled by the Executive Director. Customers can expect to hear back within 10 days.
Documents can be made available in various accessible formats upon request.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of OMHS that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.