The Oakville & Milton Humane Society offers a number of animal protective services both as part of its core mandate and in conjunction with the Animal Control Contract for the Town of Oakville.
Key Animal Protective Services
- Town of Oakville Dog Licensing
- Town of Oakville By-Law Enforcement
- Responding to Animal Welfare Calls
Town of Oakville Dog Licences
All dogs must be licensed in the Town of Oakville. Licences are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and not specific to a calendar year.
Licences may be purchased at the Oakville & Milton Humane Society, Town Hall, and many local Veterinarians and pet retailers. Information about fees and payment methods is available on the licence form.
Click here to purchase a Town of Oakville Licence online – a $2.00 processing fee applies
Click here to download the Town of Oakville Licence Form – to be mailed or faxed
The Benefits of Licensing Your Pet
- Dog licences offer cheap insurance for the safe return of your dog should he or she become lost. Dog owners like to believe that their dog will never go missing, but chances are that your dog will wander off at some point in his or her life.
- A licence on your dog’s collar is the fastest way to contact you when your dog is lost
- A licence is immediately visible to anyone who finds your dog and shows that your dog is not homeless. Members of the public are more likely to approach a licensed dog – helping to ensure your pet is brought to a safe environment more quickly.
- Licensed dogs have a higher chance of getting home compared to unlicensed dogs
- Licenses are cost effective as a staff member will contact you immediately, to prevent boarding fees from adding up.
- A licence means your dog will spend less time in the shelter, reducing the stress he or she may experience.
- A licence allows the staff to contact you in case of emergency in order for you to make vital decisions regarding the care of your pet 24 hours a day 365 days of the year.
Town of Oakville By-Law Enforcement
The Town of Oakville has contracted The Oakville & Milton Humane Society to enforce a variety of local animal by-laws and provide animal control services within the Oakville community.
- Pick up of stray animals
- Removal of dead wildlife on Town Property including Town roads
- Removal of dead animals on Regional roads
The control and management of nuisance wildlife is NOT performed by the Oakville & Milton Humane Society. Refer to the following resources if you are encountering nuisance wildlife on your property.
How to dispose of deceased wildlife on Private Property
- Double bag the animal and place into your regular garbage pick up
- Double bag it and bring it to the shelter for disposal