Giving Up Your Pet
If you adopted your pet from OMHS please contact our Adoption Receiving Department about your options: 905 845 1551 ext 156
The decision to give up your pet is a difficult one. The Oakville & Milton Humane Society is here to help you explore all possible options so that you can keep your animal, but we recognize that sometimes, giving up your companion is the best option – for you and your pet.
Will the Oakville & Milton Humane Society Take My Pet?
Our shelter has a finite number of cages and we cannot safely house more animals than we have cages. Due to limited space, we are only able to accommodate animals from the Oakville and Milton Area. If you live outside our service area and are trying to re-home your pet, we will do our best to refer you to shelter(s) and rescue organization(s) that serve your area.
Surrendering Your Pet to the Oakville & Milton Humane Society
We take animals in for adoption by appointment only for residents of Oakville and Milton.
- Call (905-845-1551 ext 156) or email () us to speak with our staff about surrendering your pet.
- Provide your contact details and information about your pet so that you can be placed on the waiting list if we can not accept your pet right away
- There is an adoption receiving fee, based on your animal’s age and whether or not it is spayed/neutered.
- All cats and dogs will need to be current on vaccines and you will need to provide proof before we are able to take in the animal.
- All animals brought to the Oakville & Milton Humane Society must be either on a leash or in a carrier.
We understand that giving up your pet is an emotional decision. The decision to surrender your pet is a permanent one. Once you have surrendered your animal, The Oakville & Milton Humane Society becomes the legal owner of the animal and will not be returned to you. We keep all healthy, adoptable animals as long as it takes to find them their forever homes. When we are unable to take in your pet and we will try and help you figure out other options.