These requirements are in place to ensure that all our pets go to loving, caring, forever homes. In order to adopt an animal from the Oakville & Milton Humane Society, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age
- Have the knowledge and consent of all adults living in your household
- Have valid identification, with your current address (driver’s licence is preferred)
- Meet the animal outside of the cage/kennel
- Provide a completed adoption form located below
- Cat Adoption Match Making Survey
- Barn Buddies Cat Application
- Dog Adoption Match Making Survey
- Small Animal Adoption Match Making Survey
Cat & Small Animal Adoption Process:
As a humane society, we have a responsibility to place animals in suitable homes that will promote loving bonds between adopters and their pets. Through our adoption process, we will help you find the perfect pet, the one that fulfils you expectations, and suits your lifestyle.
The first step is to meet with the animal either at the shelter or at one of our offsite adoption locations. Once you’re family has interacted with the animal, you can fill out an adoption Match Making Survey. You can download the form from the links above, obtain one from the shelter, or pick one up from one of our offsite adoption locations. Once we receive your Adoption Survey an Adoption Counsellor will contact you about the next steps and to make sure that the pet you have chosen is the perfect match.
The adoption agreement you will sign when you adopt an animal will clearly explain your obligations and responsibilities when you adopt an animal from us.
Dog Adoption Process:
Thank you for your interest in adopting a dog from the Oakville & Milton Humane Society! Our goal is to find a great match for your family, and to find the best match for the dogs in our care.
“I’ve submitted my Dog Adoption Survey…what happens now?”
The Adoption staff will review your adoption survey:
- If more than one adoption survey has been submitted for the same dog, the best match for the dog will be selected for an adoption meeting with an Adoption Counsellor.
- All other suitable adoption surveys will be held until the dog is adopted.
- As sometimes happens, life interferes and the first match might withdraw their survey, we will move onto the next survey that’s the best match.
- All applicants will be notified either way if and when the dog is adopted.
Overall the adoption process can take up to 10 days from start to finish.
If the dog is not the right match for you, we will contact you right away and if applicable, help you find the right match for your family.
All members of your family will have to meet the dog prior to finalizing the adoption. If you have another dog in your household the Adoption Counsellor will arrange a dog introduction after your first adoption meeting.
The adoption meeting will be booked as soon as possible. This is your opportunity to ask any questions you may have, and for us to get to know you and help you explore what you are looking for in a new pet. We will not hold dogs for extended periods of time; please make sure that your entire family is available within the next few days to meet with an Adoption Counsellor.
We do not send home dogs the same day of the adoption meeting. If it is a good match, a pick up time will be booked as soon as possible after your meeting with the Adoption Counsellor. This will give us the opportunity to bathe, microchip and finalize our care for the dog, and it will give you the opportunity to plan and discuss the new responsibilities with your family, to sign up for training classes, and to prepare for the arrival of your new family member.
If you have any questions please call 905 845 1551 ext 147 or email firstname.lastname@example.org