Dogs’ and cats’ hearing is much more sensitive than ours so the loud noises can be overwhelming and some pets might try to escape.
Here are some tips to help keep your furry family members safe and comforted during firework displays and help you enjoy your Canada Day!
- Keep your pet indoors before, during and after the display.
- Keep windows and doors closed in your home.
- Keep your pet in a safe place in your home where your pet will be and feel more comfortable. Keep a radio or TV on to help mask the noise.
- Never leave your pet in a parked car, even at night. Temperatures inside a vehicle can rise to dangerous levels within minutes.
- Ask your veterinarian for help if your pet is scared by fireworks and thunderstorms.
- Safeguard your pet with a collar, I.D. tag, and a microchip so you can be reunited quickly if your pet does escape. Get your dog licensed today: omhs.ca/services/your-pet/dog-licences/
- If your pet does become lost, call your local humane society and the surrounding shelters.
- The Oakville & Milton Humane Society’s Emergency service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 905-845-1551.