About Oakville & Milton Humane Society
We are dedicated to protecting and making life better for animals and connecting the communities that care about them in Oakville and Milton.
Oakville & Milton Humane Society is:
- Engaged with our communities
- A trusted partner
Our 2019-2022 Strategic Plan is built on four pillars: Quality of Care, Financial Stability, Community Engagement and Suitable Facilities. By giving voice to those who can’t speak for themselves, OMHS will continue to raise awareness to the challenges our animals face, and deliver programs and services that help inform the community why its support for animal welfare is so critical.
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2019 Impact Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2018 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2017 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2016 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2015 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2014 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2013 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2012 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2011 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2010 Annual Report
- Oakville & Milton Humane Society 2009 Annual Report
OAKVILLE & MILTON HUMANE SOCIETY Funding
All humane societies are run independently. The Oakville & Milton Humane Society is an independent, non-profit charitable organization, funded by donations. We are dependent on the donations from the public and from corporate sponsors to support the work with our animals.
Our Charitable Registration Number is 11906 4350 RR0001.
What THE OAKVILLE & MILTON HUMANE SOCIETY Does:
The Oakville & Milton Humane Society (OMHS) has space for approximately 300 animals. These animals come to us because their owners can no longer care for them, because they are lost, abandoned or abused.
The Pounds Act states that we must keep any incoming stray for a minimum of 72 hours which does not include the day the animal came in, Sundays or holidays. This is to allow the owner time to claim his/her pet. The majority of our stray animals go back to their owners, or are placed in new homes.
Throughout the years, OMHS has retained its primary mission of addressing animal welfare issues as well as providing food, shelter and care for the many stray and unwanted pets in our communities. In addition, the shelter offers an increasingly wide range of support services including:
- 24 hour emergency service
- Lost and found
- Animals for adoption
- By-law enforcement
The OMHS is very committed to the communites that it serves. We offer pet visits to health facilities, education in schools and we participate in many community events.
The OMHS prides itself in being a low euthanasia animal shelter. Euthanasia is our final option in cases of overwhelming medical conditions, quality of life, dangerous aggressive behavior and public safety.
We have made the commitment to spaying or neutering every dog, cat, puppy, kitten and rabbit that is made available for adoption in an effort to impact pet overpopulation in our communities.
Through education, spay/neuter programs and assisting people in choosing appropriate pets, we hope to reduce the number of unwanted animals coming into the shelter.
In order to continue to offer these services and maintain the best possible care for our animals we need volunteer help. Volunteers are involved in every aspect of the shelter with the exception of Animal Control. We would not be able to provide wonderful care for our animals without you.
The shelter began in January 1936, when a group of concerned citizens decided that lost and abandoned animals needed some place to go where they could be safe from the elements. By 1939, they were not only helping lost or abandoned animals, but were also handling cruelty complaints. In 2020 the new Provincial Animal Welfare Services (PAWS) Act came into force, creating the first fully provincial government-based animal welfare enforcement system in Canada.
Originally, the building was located on Morrison Road. The shelter moved to its present location in May 1951.