Fostering Makes a Difference!
Thank you for your interest in fostering for the Oakville & Milton Humane Society (OMHS). Often, animals that need extra care, love and training will be placed in foster care. Healthy animals will go onto the adoption floor to find their forever homes.
The goal of OMHS is to find great families for the animals that come through our doors needing a home. Unfortunately, many of the animals that come to us are ill, have behavioural challenges, or are too young to be placed up for adoption. Foster families help us to get these wonderful animals ready to find their forever homes. We are always looking to add new foster families to our dedicated team of volunteers.
Some Reasons Animals need Foster Care
- Too young to be available for adoption
- Suffering from an illness or injury and needs to recuperate
- Requires socialization and/or training
- Temporary boarding as a result of an emergency situation (fire, health crisis)
- Not comfortable in the shelter setting and needs a break from the cage
Animals we Foster
- Cats and kittens
- Dogs and puppies
- Small animals – hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc.
- Exotic pets – reptiles, amphibians
- Farm animals (on rural farm properties)
Requirements for Fostering
OMHS provides all necessary food, supplies and medical care for our animals in foster care.
- All family members must be in agreement to foster
- You may not foster for another shelter or rescue group while fostering for OMHS for health and liability reasons
- You must be at least 18 years of age to apply
- You must have reliable transportation to and from the shelter
- You must obtain a police check for the current calendar year
- If requested, you must be willing to have a property check done before you begin fostering
Process to become a Foster Family
- Fill out and submit both the Foster Application and the Volunteer Application. It is important that you fill in the applications completely and provide details about your experience.
- If you are a successful applicant, you will be contacted to attend a foster parent orientation.
If you have any questions regarding the foster parent program, please check out our Volunteer FAQ page, or contact the Volunteer Coordinator by email at email@example.com or by phone at 905-845-1551 extension 305.