The Adoption Process
Please note that due to the current public health emergency our adoption process has been adjusted as follows:
- We are temporarily limiting interactions between the public and our staff. As a result, interested adopters will not be permitted to view the animals in person prior to adoption with the exception of dogs.
- Only a limited number of animals will be made available at a time. They will be posted on the adoptable animal pages at https://omhs.ca/adopt/ or our Facebook Page
- To apply to adopt an available animal, please complete a survey at https://omhs.ca/adopt/how-can-i-adopt/adoption-forms/ (dog, cat or small animal). For your convenience, adoption surveys have been provided below in envelopes corresponding with the type of animal you are looking to adopt
- Email your completed survey along with the name of the animal you are interested in adopting to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 905-845-1973.
- All Adoption Surveys will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis. Our Adoption Counsellors will call you to discuss your adoption survey.
- Once the Adoptions department has received your adoption survey, an Adoption Counsellor will contact you within 24-72 hours to discuss the next steps including going over any important information you need to know before taking home your new pet.
- A time will be scheduled for you to complete the adoption contract, microchip information, receive vet records and pick up your new pet.
- Please contact our Adoptions department by calling 905-845-1551 ex. 147, or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Thank you for your interest in adopting a pet from the Oakville & Milton Humane Society! Our goal is to find a great match for you and your family, and to find the best match for the animals in our care.
In order to adopt a pet, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Have the knowledge and consent of all adults living in your household;
- Have valid identification, with current address (Driver’s Licence is preferred.)
- Meet the animal outside of the cage/kennel (make sure you visit during our viewing hours)
- Provide a completed Adoption Survey
Please choose the relevant Adoption Survey:
Once you have met with the animal interested applicants will need to print & fill out an Adoption Survey. You may email a completed survey to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax it to 905-845-1973, or drop it off at the shelter during our office hours.
We also have Special Adoption Programs for cats with unique needs. Click here to learn more!