The Adoption Process
Our Adoption Process
Thank you for your interest in adopting a pet from the Oakville & Milton Humane Society!
We strive to find great matches for both the animals and those looking to adopt them.
The first step to finding that match is for you is to view the adoptable animals on on the following webpage: https://omhs.ca/adopt/
Once you have found an animal who you would like to adopt, please complete and submit an Adoption Application.
To complete the adoption application:
- Download the appropriate application below (cat, dog or small animal)
- The applications are fillable PDF files that can be completed in PDF read like Adobe Acrobat (which is free to download) or on your internet browser (Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, etc.). Select each field to type your response or click the check boxes for your responses. Ensure to fill out the application in its entirety for the adoptions team to make a proper decision.
- At the end of the application, there is a place to sign the document electronically. This works best in Adobe Acrobat. Please note if your are finding it difficult to sign the document electronically, that is okay. Submitting it without a signature is acceptable. Our team will have you sign it in person if the adoption is approved.
- Save the completed file to your computer or tablet.
- Email the saved file to email@example.com
- The adoptions team will let you know the status of your application within 24-48 hours.
If you would prefer to complete the application by hand, you can print it from our website or pick up a copy from the shelter at 445 Cornwall Road in Oakville during our office hours. Applications are best to submit by email but you may also submit by fax to 905-845-1973 or in person at the shelter.
Please only apply for one pet at a time (or two if you are looking to adopt a pair). Your Adoption Application cannot be processed unless you indicate which animal you are applying for. If you express interest in multiple animals, the Adoptions department will only be able to process for the first animal listed.
All Adoption Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. A member of the Adoptions department will contact you within 24-72 hours of receiving your application.
Cats and small animals are avilable for you to meet with the help of a staff member or vounteer. Most of our dogs have challening behaviours; meet and greets can be arranged after completing an application and determining with the adoption staff if the dog is a good fit. We are excited to help you find your forever match!
In order to adopt a pet, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Have the knowledge and consent of all adults living in your household;
- Have valid identification, with current address (Driver’s License is preferred)
- Provide a completed Adoption Application
- Some of our dogs are required to attend dog training classes (or private training). You will be asked to show proof of dog training registration prior to the send home
Please choose the relevant Adoption Application:
- Cat Adoption Application
- Dog Adoption Application
- Small Animal Adoption Application
- Barn Buddies Cat Application
We also have a Special Adoption Program for cats with unique needs. Click here to learn more.
Do you have questions? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact our Adoptions department directly at 905-845-1551 ex. 147 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.