The Oakville & Milton Humane Society (OMHS) continues to operate as an essential service under the province’s stay-at-home order that is in effect for at least the next 27 days. This will enable us to continue protecting and making life better for the animals in our care.
As a result of the COVID-19 public health crisis, the OMHS only allows those clients who have made an appointment access to the shelter. This precaution, along with the numerous health measures already in place means we are in full compliance with the current stay-at-home order.
The health and wellbeing of the public, staff, and volunteers continues to be our highest priority. Please note that the following changes to our services and programs:
- All educational programming has been placed on hold with a tentative startup date scheduled for mid-February (with limited numbers)
- The Barkin’ Bin Thrift Store will remain closed until the stay-at-home order is lifted
- In-person shelter tours have been discontinued, but virtual tours can be scheduled
- In-shelter volunteering will be placed on hold until the stay-at-home order is lifted
We continue to encourage members of the public to access our services online rather than visit the shelter. This includes dog licensing, donations, general inquiries, etc. (please refer to the full list of service at the bottom of the page).
If you do plan to visit the shelter and require assistance, you will need to call first (905-845-1551) to make an appointment. On the day of your appointment you will be required to wear a mask (or one can be provided if necessary).
When you approach the front door entrance please press the intercom button and a member of our customer service team will speak with you and possibly meet with you outside. While outside please continue to wear your mask and to practice social distancing.
If you are visiting the shelter to make a donation or submit a license application an appointment is not required and can be left in our drop box by the front entrance.
A reminder to all visitors to NOT visit the shelter if you have:
- travelled outside Canada in the last 14 days
- are experiencing shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, or fever
- been in close contact with a person showing symptoms or tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days
With the winter season upon us it will be more important than ever to protect yourself and others by practicing physical distancing and to wear a mask. Stopping the spread of COVID-19 is a community effort and our individual actions do make a difference.
We thank you for your continued understanding and please stay safe.
Oakville & Milton Humane Society