The Halton Region, including the town of Oakville and Milton, enters the “Red” control level of its COVID-19 Response Framework beginning today. Since the Oakville and Milton Humane Society (OMHS) has been deemed an essential service, we are able to continue protecting and making life better for the animals in our care.
As a result of the COVID-19 public health crisis, the OMHS only allows those clients who have made an appointment access to the shelter. This precaution, along with the numerous health measures already in place means we are in full compliance with “Red” control levels.
The health and wellbeing of the public, staff, and volunteers continues to be our highest priority. Please note that the following changes to our services and programs:
- Portions of our Kid’s Programs and dog training classes are now available virtually and by appointment
- The Barkin’ Bin Thrift Store will remain temporarily closed
- In-person shelter tours have been discontinued, but virtual tours can be scheduled by emailing email@example.com or calling 905-845-1551 extension 305
- We will not be on-boarding new volunteers to work with the animals at this time and in-shelter volunteering is not available at this time
We continue to encourage members of the public to access our services online rather than visit the shelter. This includes dog licensing, donations, general inquiries, etc. (please refer to the full list of services at the bottom of the page).
If you do plan to visit the shelter and require assistance, you will need to call first (905-845-1551) to make an appointment. On the day of your appointment you will be required to wear a mask (or one can be provided if necessary).
When you approach the front door entrance please press the intercom button and a member of our customer service team will speak with you and possibly meet with you outside. While outside please continue to wear your mask and to practice social distancing.
If you are visiting the shelter to make a donation or submit a licence application an appointment is not required and can be left in our drop box by the front entrance.
A reminder to all visitors to NOT visit the shelter if you have:
- travelled outside Canada in the last 14 days
- are experiencing shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, or fever
- been in close contact with a person showing symptoms or tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days
With the winter season upon us it will be more important than ever to protect yourself and others by practicing physical distancing and to wear a mask. Stopping the spread of COVID-19 is a community effort and our individual actions do make a difference.
We thank you for your continued understanding and please stay safe.
Oakville & Milton Humane Society