Leaving a share of your assets
A good way to help is to leave a percentage of what is left of your estate or assets after other gifts (and debts) have been paid—known as a “residual gift.” If you have already made a Will, but want to add a residual gift to the OMHS, your lawyer can help you do this without affecting the gifts you leave your loved ones.
Leaving a fixed sum of money
You may wish to leave us a stated sum of money. This type of gift is known as a “specific gift.”
Leaving a specific item of value
You may wish to leave us a particular item, which can be sold to support our work to protect and care for animals. It could be property or an item of value, such as an antique or jewelry.
Why Consider a Legacy Gift?
Amplify your impact: After your lifetime, it’s possible to make a more significant gift than you might otherwise be able to afford now.
Enjoy tax benefits: By including charitable gifts in your estate planning, you may eliminate significant taxes payable upon your death.
There’s no commitment: Circumstances can change. Because you are not actually making a gift until after your lifetime, you can change your mind and your Will at any time.
What You Need to Know
We recommend that you consult with your legal advisor when planning a legacy gift. Here is some information that may be helpful:
- Our legal name is Oakville & Milton Humane Society
- Our charitable registration number is 11906 4350 RR0001
- Our address is 445 Cornwall Road, Oakville, Ontario L6J 7S8
- Our suggested wording for a residual gift: “To pay the Oakville & Milton Humane Society the residue (or share of the residue) of my estate for such use and purpose as the Board of Directors may determine in their absolute discretion.”
- Our suggested wording for a specific gift: “To pay the Oakville & Milton Humane Society the sum of $— for such use and purpose as the Board of Directors may determine in their absolute discretion.”
If you have chosen to include the OMHS in your Will, please let us know. We would love to thank you personally.
OMHS appreciates your commitment to animal welfare. We respect your privacy and the decisions you make while creating your Will.